Saturday, January 15, 2011

End Of An Era

Back in the day when Nokias were the shizzle (seems like centuries ago), they used to have a simple yet straightforward feature which informed you of how long all your calls to date have been, now I’m sure the fancier and more sophisticated smartphones of today have the same thing, but I stop caring really .A phone in this time and age is anything but a phone, ask a certain Steve Jobs what he thinks about his iPod Touch that makes phone calls and he will brag about every single feature on it, other than its capabilities as a phone. I’d appreciate the technology in phones a bit more the day people are able to take DSLR quality images on them, but this is rather far-fetched now.

Now, what does that have to do with photography/omography etc.? I have upgraded my ‘entry level DSLR’ and basically ended my old 400D’s service, since the new one (550D if you are wondering) does everything that the 400D is capable of and more, and it’s definitely more technologically advanced, lighter, faster etc. Now the reason why I upgraded is that the gap between my 400D and the 5D was just massive and the contrast in quality was quite annoying. I wish I could somehow calculate the total # of shots that I took with the 400D in a way akin to how the total length of phone calls is measured in phones. My guess is that it would surpass the 100,000 mark.

Whatever the total number of shots is, the 400D (Known to you N. American peeps as the Rebel XTi me thinks) has been a very, very loyal and resilient servant which has proven its worth time and time again, and it has never failed me when I had the occasional brain fart of forgetting to charge my other camera’s batteries. I will vividly recall driving to Muscat, Oman only to realize after getting there that I forgot to take my 5D’s battery along (Major brain fart there). The 400D’s performance was top notch, it sure wasn’t on par with its bulkier sibling, but heck, it saved the day and I got some good shots out of that spontaneous journey.

My ancient Canon Powershot S2 IS finally has a new buddy (Or I’d rather say ‘body’, since the 400D will be lens-less) to keep it entertained while both gather dust and get the occasional look of sympathy while they lie gracefully on my desk.

No comments: