Sunday, July 09, 2006

Last-minute cramming


Before I start, I would like to state that this is by no means meant to criticize or bash any races.

As I am cramming for a test, I remembered a comment made by our Statistics lecturer based on her experience in education about Eastern vs. Western students.

She said that Eastern students (Mainly Asians) were excellent in calculating numbers and doing the math part when doing tests, but they struggle when it comes to analyzing and interpreting the outcome. On the contrary, Westerners struggled while doing the math parts but extensively answered analysis questions.

I found that true the hard way (unfortunately) as I find it much, much easier to calculate the mean or probability questions but struggle to define and interpret the outcomes. Well, I have two hours of cramming to reverse the slides and get my Eastern mind to analyze rather than just add up the figures.

My stubborn-self keeps on wondering, why the heck are we supposed to analyze in a statistics course?!

6 comments:

eyad said...

Good luck,

Unknown said...

Thanks Eyad :)

The friendly lion said...

hey, forget what you know who said. just look at the mark list and youll see eastern minds on top of the list even though we have a western majority!
sabeen

Unknown said...

True!

Unknown said...

Well Eastern can be anything, Arabs, Indians/Pakistani or from the proper far east like you mentioned... And it is true, 12 years I spent at Arab schools featured NO analytical thinking whatsoever, was such a waste of some bright minds..

Hehe, I guess many f**ked up in stats at uni... = I eventually got a B- in that, lowest grade I ever got at uni but heck, don't give a hoot! :D

Anonymous said...

lol, its true...i can memorize formulas and calculate kil shi...bas when im done and i have to interpret, its like HUH, what did i just calculat!! good luck omar:)